What is depression?
Before you know the treatments for depression, you must know what it actually is. Mood swings and irritations are part of human nature and this cannot be referred to as depression. Then what does it mean? It is a serious disorder that affects people of any age groups and has a negative effect on them. A person who is suffering from depression has a negative effect on their feelings, views and expressing things. It is seen that depressed people are sad more often and they losses their interest on things or they get irritated on more or less everything around them.
Now the question is how do you recognize or locate someone affected by this major medical condition. The first thing to be noticed is that whether the person continues to act in the same way for a minimum of two weeks.
The different symptoms of depression
There are a few different symptoms people usually suffer from which will help one to detect someone with depression. The following are some of them: –
- The feeling of getting irritated.
- Feeling of being sad or a hollow feeling or anxiety.
- Always expecting something bad to happen or feeling hopeless.
- Reduction in the amount of energy.
- People who feel they are worthless and are helpless too.
- The feeling of being guilty all the time.
- Changes in their body weight.
- Is not able to remember things.
- Is not able to take decisions or are easily distracted.
- Different types of problems without any proper reasons like cramps or headaches, etc.
- Suicidal thoughts or attempts.
Treatments for depression
Depression is a disorder that can be healed with the help of certain medications and treatments. But it must be noted that one medication may not be effective for someone else and it is same with the therapies as well. It can be treated at any stage. It is recommended to go for treatment as early as possible, this will help it to get healed fast.
The most commonly used treatment is the antidepressant medication. The dosage of this medication is increased or decreased after a proper checkup by the doctors. This helps to guide the chemicals and hormones produced by the brain to work in a proper way. With time this also helps to improve the mood.
The usual time of working of the antidepressant is between two to four weeks. The basic symptoms that help you understand that it is working are the improving of concentration problems or problems regarding good sleep or appetite. All these changes take place before there is an uplift in the mood.
People might often get confused on which antidepressant they should take. This is a very important decision and should be discussed with the doctor in the first place. The effectiveness of all antidepressant medication differs from individual to individual. It is very crucial to let your doctor know the maximum about yourself. This will help you get an effective antidepressant faster. One of the medications used for treating depression is Trintellix (vortioxetine).
The side effects of taking antidepressants
You must know that taking antidepressant can only enhance your mood with time. To not always expect it to make you happy. You will be the same person and there will be no change in your personality. There are some common side effects seen in the ones who are taking antidepressants. These are generally: –
- Dryness in mouth
- Weight gain
- A possibility of an increased amount of sweating
- Sexual problems
These symptoms are usually for a short span of time. The doctors supervising you should be informed about all the side effects. There are some ways to minimize these problems you might face while taking the medication.
It is very important to keep the people under good observation who have started to take the medications and this should be followed for two weeks or four weeks. As this is the appropriate time when the antidepressant starts to work.
Alternatives for the antidepressants
There are certainly alternative ways that can be helpful for people who are struggling with the disorder of depression. The following things can be a useful treatment: –
- It is recommended to exercise on a regular basis. This not only helps to keep the body fit but also helps to keep the mind fit and active and refresh it as well. The people affected by depression should always be active.
- Try to set small goals regularly and ones that you can achieve. This way you will get the confidence back.
- You should spend time with family and friends. Be with people whom you trust.
- Solitude is important but isolating yourself during this time is totally opposed. Let people know about your situation and help yourself by letting them help you.