It is mandatory for food business operators to have FSSAI registration. The qualifying norms and the food business category specifics has to be defined under the Food Safety and Standards Regulations, 2011.
Mentioned below are the complete details about the registration certificate prerequisites:
- The production turnover for units producing vegetable oil by the process of solvent extraction and refineries including oil expeller unit and vegetable oil processing units should be upto 100 litres per Kg per day.
- The slaughtering units should have a production turnover of upto 2 large animals, 10 small animals and upto 50 poultry birds per day.
- The dairy processing and handling units (including cold chilling units) must have a production turnover of upto 500 litres of milk per day or upto 2.5 metric ton of milk solids per annum.
- Meat processing units must more than 100 kgs per day or 30 metric ton per day of production turnover.
- All food processing units other than the mentioned above including repackers need to have production turnover of upto 100 litres per Kg per day.
- Food business operators such as distributors, club/canteen, dhaba or any other food vending establishment, wholesaler, retailer, supplier, restaurant, transporter, storage (controlled atmosphere + cold, cold + refrigerated) must have a production turnover of upto 12 lakhs per annum.
Below are the categories of businesses that are excluded from the registration criteria:
- Food business operators dealing with Non-standardized products (only eligible for central license).
- 100% export oriented units (only eligible for central license).
- The importers of food items which includes the ingredients and additives (only eligible for central license).